Friday, April 8, 2011

Epistemology

Why and how we know what we know...
and it always comes back to the Greek's doesn't it!

I have been looking closely at the art and philosophy of the Ancient Greek's as part of my thesis; at the start of the course I was pretty sure I wanted to write about fashion design practices, the way designers work, practically, their materials and processes and why, maintaing a fairly 'objective' view on the matter, but here I am weeks later and things seem to have escalated and now I have decided to go right back to the root of seemingly most things, yep the Greeks, so. I will be looking at the origins of Western Ideals, focussing on the representation of the male figure, ideals of 'perfection' and beauty, humanism and idealism and then looking to see where these ideals fit into society today, with brief stop over in the Renaissance perhaps... so quite different, but thats what has happened.
Exciting no?!
So perhaps this is going to be a quest for me to better understand my origins and to make me question why I design the way I do.

Know thyself

No comments:

Post a Comment